Saturday, July 11, 2015

Wavelength Shawl from Holley's Yarn Shoppe - Day 2

Right-sizing....

One of the things I’m most looking forward to in this project is the size.  I’m not a small woman, so shawlettes don’t have a lot of versatility for me.  A full shawl, however, can be worn as a shawl, a cowl, or a scarf.  So I’m delighted to be working on a full shawl, even in a summer weight like this.  It always feels that much better to be wearing a full shawl.

Speaking of feeling, everyone keeps asking to touch it. It’s the linen quality, I think—they want to know if it's soft.  It’s not yet, I explain, but it will be.  It will hold its shape well, but still be light enough for summer wear.  There’s a reason linen has always been the go-to summer fabric.

I admit to a bit of hesitation about the lacework panel.  Given the soft color, the design doesn’t stand out very much yet.  There’s a few photos of the shawl in a more vibrant color on Ravelry, and I really like them.  In the beige tones, however, it doesn’t seem to pop.  Yet. You can’t judge lace before it is blocked.  I absolutely must reserve judgement until the end on this one.


The good news is that I’m early in the project and I already know I have mastered all the necessary stitch patterns.  Knitting is a place where “more of the same” is a comforting thing.  My job now?  Keep going and don’t mess it up.

No comments: