Sunday, January 22, 2012

Davis Street Shawl from CloseKnit -Day 1

Mostly I think of shawls as decorative, but this project looked so practical and cozy I opted for a bit of an experiment: function. 


The pattern itself lends a bit of decoration with the picot trim (with which I confess I've not had much past success), so I chose the Nashua Handknits Creative Focus Brushed Alpaca in a very basic neutral color. Will the oatmeal shade--called "gray heather"--prove versatile or boring? It's too soon to tell, but I do find myself wishing I had more neutral knit pieces from time to time. My attraction to vibrant colors isn't always the smartest choice, but when faced with a shelf full of gorgeous hues at the yarn store, it's hard to think practically. 


The fuzzy lofty nature of this yarn certainly feels like warmth is in store. There's a bit of scratchiness on the needles, but it may be the kind that disappears at the blocking stage. Most of my worries center around the picot edge--I don't have a good track record with this stitch at all. This shawl will either mark my victory over the picot--or it's victory over me. 


Care to make a prediction?

1 comment:

Charlene Ann Baumbich said...

I'd always put my money on you.