Wednesday, March 21, 2012

March Authors Who Knit: Rachael Herron


Welcome to the third in our monthly series introducing you to authors who share our love for the yarn and needles.  Today we meet the delightful Rachael Herron.  As always, leave a comment or question and you could win a copy of Rachael's highly-praised memoir, A Life in Stitches.

What’s on your needles right now?
Right now, I’m working on a gray cabled cardigan I’m making out of my handspun. It’s pretty, but I’m struggling with the set-in sleeves. And I’m also working on a doozy of a lace shawl, with the thought of casting on another one later today. I have startitis!


What feels like your favorite/greatest knitting accomplishment?
I spent years worshipping a sweater my mother commissioned in Norway in the sixties. Finally, in my thirties, I was able to copy it stitch for stitch, and completed it at her deathbed. It’s my most prized piece of knitting. (There’s a whole chapter on it in my memoir, A Life in Stitches.)


What feels like the worst knitting mistake/foible/wrong choice you’ve ever made?
Oh, so many! Usually it’s a question of getting gauge wrong, although another problem is often that I rush at the end. The little perfect details of finishing are something I gloss over too quickly, and it sometimes shows. However, I’m a product knitter, not a process one, so just getting something done is my favorite part.


Straight or circular needles?
Circs, all the way. Usually Addis.


Metal or wood needles?
Metal, always.


White chocolate, milk chocolate, or dark chocolate?
Mmmmmm. A combo, especially in ice cream form!


Coffee or tea?
Coffee! I would like some more coffee, please.


Have you written a knitting character? 
Yes! Lots! My Cypress Hollow Yarns series revolves around a small town on the California coast where practically everyone knits. It’s a town full of obsessive knitters, due to a matriarchal town figure who introduced the craze years and years ago.


What’s the last thing anyone would suspect about your most recent book?
That my main character is obsessed with preparing for the end of the world (or at least, the end of her world.

Are you on Ravelry?  If so, what's your name there?


Give a shout out to your favorite local yarn store:
A Verb For Keeping Warm
6328 San Pablo
Oakland, CA  94608 
510-595-8372 
http://www.averbforkeepingwarm.com/


Thanks for sharing,  Rachael.  If you'd like to keep up with our new friend, you can follow Rachael's blog at http://www.yarnagogo.com/.


Up next, I knit an alligator (surely you want to stick around for that!).

2 comments:

Rachael Herron said...

Great to be here (even from Italia -- grabbing some time on the net from my apartment...) Thank you for having me!

Virginia said...

You definitely hit some of the best shops and eating places around Line Ave. in Shreveport, LA.
I know. I live here. Glad you had such a great time. There's plenty more to explore when you come back.