Saturday, March 24, 2012

Alligator Scarf from Knitting Under the Influence of Nancy


When you say...

So I'm knitting an alligator.
Let's just start with the entertainment value of that sentence.  It's grand fun to say, although it does get you funny looks.  Good thing I'm used to funny looks.  The novelty comes from the dichotomy between the basic images that come to mind when you say knitting (warm, cozy, comforting) and when you say alligator (predatory, man-eating, sneaky reptile).  You run from alligators, not knit them.  Unless you're an old lady from the 1920's, in which case you make purses from them.

But I digress.  Which I'm good at.

At first glance, this looks like a complex project.  You're essentially knitting in three dimensions, which always feels like it will make your head hurt.  Fret not, for this alligator doesn't have much of a bite--the impressive effect is achieved with mostly garter stitch and simple increases and decreases.  Okay, there's a tiny bit of cast-on in there, too.  As a matter of fact if you have a young person who is ready to take their knitting beyond just knit and purl, this would be an ideal project for mastering increase and decrease skills.

I do find the hollow eyes a bit creepy.  If I catch this out of the corner of my eye, I think the thing is looking at me.  I don't mind gazing at my knitting, but I take issue when my knitting stares back.  I've been considering finding some google-eye buttons, but I can't decide if that would make it better or worse (feel free to chime in with your opinion).

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

I'm scared of alligators. I think it's healthy to be afraid of anything that can eat me.