Wednesday, February 20, 2013

February Authors Who Knit: Lisa Jordan


It's the third Wednesday of the month, so that means it's time to meet another knitting author.  Today we meet award-winning fellow Love-Inspired author Lisa Jordan.

What’s on your needles right now?
Currently I’m knitting ruffle scarves using Sashay or Starbella yarn. On another set of needles, I started a baby afghan for our local pregnancy support center.

What feels like your favorite/greatest knitting accomplishment?
Teaching myself to knit via videos at www.knittinghelp.com. Then I started a knitting ministry at my church. We call ourselves Sisters in Stitches because laughter and stitching—crocheting, knitting, embroidery, sewing—all take place while we’re together. We craft items for our local pregnancy support center, lapghans for local vets, laprobes for local nursing home patients, etc. 

Straight or circular needles?
Circular needles. My husband bought me a set of Denise Interchangeable needles for my birthday after I learned to knit. LOVE them. 

Metal or wood needles?
My Denise needles are plastic, but my double-pointed needles are bamboo. I find wood easier to work with. 

White chocolate, milk chocolate, or dark chocolate?
All three? I love dark chocolate with almonds, milk chocolate with caramel, and over Christmas, I became addicted to Hershey’s candy cane Kisses.

Coffee or tea?
Tea, all the way. I love the scent of brewing coffee, but I hate the taste. 

Have you written a knitting character? 
I haven’t written a main character yet, but one is residing in my muse. I’ve written a secondary knitting character. 

What’s the last thing anyone would suspect about your most recent book?
My most recent book, Lakeside Family published in August 2012, dealt with a young girl dying from leukemia. Both of my boys are healthy young men, so I haven’t had to face a terminally ill child who faced death. So I had to do some research, then pull from a place of pain so I could kind of feel what Josie, my main character, was feeling regarding her daughter’s illness. While revising Lakeside Family, my mother had open-heart surgery. The weekend following her surgery, we almost lost her. Channeling those emotions enabled me to write Josie’s emotions in a realistic manner. My first reader letter was from a woman who lost her child, and she said what Josie felt equaled how she felt. 


Give a shout out to your favorite local yarn store:
My favorite yarn store closed last year. It was housed in a home in our historical district that used to be owned by a local poet. Adorable shop with quality yarn, classes, locally-made candy and handcrafted items sold on consignment.

If you’d like to be friends on Ravelry with Lisa, her Ravelry name is: ojidli

Catch up with Lisa on her website here.

Next up, we continue our adventures into the Smocked Slouch.


No comments: