Wednesday, July 18, 2012

July Authors Who Knit: Sally Goldenbaum

DestiKNITters, meet Sally Goldenbaum.  Crafts have played a key role in her mystery book series, and she's an avid knitter herself.  Give her a warm welcome!



Sally, what’s on your needles right now?
This very minute I am knitting Gabby’s purple cardigan, a pattern designed for a little girl in my most recent mystery, A FATAL FLEECE, by a reader and yarn shop owner. It’s lovely. And all I need now is a wonderful 8 year old to give it to (my grandchildren are not quite old enough!).

What feels like your favorite/greatest knitting accomplishment? 
I think it was an outfit I knit for Ruby, my granddaughter. It had bobbles on the hat and sweater, and although they are not difficult, I had never tried them before. It’s the small accomplishments that delight me!

What feels like the worst knitting mistake/foible/wrong choice you’ve ever made?
I used a very soft, silky yarn for a sweater. The colors were brilliant and I loved them. But the sweater seemed to sag and looked a bit like a wet rag when finished!

Straight or circular needles?
Circular, for sure. I use them for everything. It helps me keep my stitches form falling to the floor and being dragged across the room by my two-year-old grandson.

Metal or wood needles?
I like wood, but sometimes, depending on the yarn, the metal work better for me.

White chocolate, milk chocolate, or dark chocolate?
How about all three? Okay, I guess not. Although I know dark is better for you, I will also be a lover of sweet, rich, creamy milk chocolate. We have a Swiss bakery/restaurant in Kansas City called Andres, and their chocolate can’t be beat.

Coffee or tea?
Coffee is my first choice. But in the summer, when I’m working on a Seaside Knitters mystery at Starbucks, I begin the day with an Americano, then switch to Tazo’s passion tea in the afternoon. It can keep me going for several chapters!

Have you written a knitting character? 
All my four main characters—Nell, Izzy, Cass, and Birdie—are knitters. Their expertise levels vary, but they all share the love of getting together to knit, and to deepen their friendship over lovely cashmere shawls, soft cotton baby sweaters, or thick woolen  hats to keep Cass warm on blustery winter days while out on her lobster boat.

What’s the last thing anyone would suspect about your most recent book?
The murderer….I hope!


Sally's Ravelry name if you'd like to seek her out: seasideknitters

Sally's favorite local yarn store:
The Studio
1121 W 47th St
Kansas City, MO 64112


Thanks for sharing your stories and your knitting with us.


Up next?  We finish the Multi-Textured Scarf!

No comments: