Friday, November 8, 2013

Mapes Shawl from Lovin' Knit - Day 4


Stitching switching...

Okay, now it’s not so much fun.  The rows are getting longer, and that band of stockinette--even with my zippy continental skills--takes forever.  I’m one of those people who cannot stop my knitting in the middle of a row, so let’s just say I’ve stayed up past my bedtime a few too many nights this week.  

And the rows just get lo-o-n-ger.

This really has been a humbling project.  The other night I got all excited (and a bit nervous) because the ball of yarn was almost done.  That meant I was almost done.  Excited Allie.  But, it was a really small ball and I couldn’t be sure I had enough to bind off that long arc of an edge.  Nervous Allie.  Plus, the thing was looking a lot smaller than I had imagined.  Increasingly nervous Allie.   Then, while digging through my “current knitting projects” drawers, I discovered the source of my, shall we say, humble-ment (I refuse to say humiliation).  

In order to keep this from getting too fat for my handbag (knitting projects must ALWAYS be able to fit in my handbag so I can whip them out at the slightest hint of downtime), I’d wound the yarn into two balls.  I’d only worked the first.

Happy Allie knew she’d have more than enough yarn to make a sizable shawl.  Allie of the Darker Side grumbled that the rows were going to get REALLY long now.

That’s knitting--at least in my world--never a dull moment.

No comments: